The building selected was one of Morrison’s dominant structures for nine decades. Known first as the Evergreen Hotel or the “Swiss Cottage,” the three-story building housed the students and their Jesuit instructors. A smaller building on the site provided servants’ quarters. By 1888, the remote location was deemed inconvenient, and the college moved to a new campus at Berkeley, close to Denver, and became Regis College (now University). A close friendship between the Jesuits and John Brisben Walker facilitated the trade, with Walker acquiring title to the Morrison location and renaming it the “Mt. Morrison Casino.” Read more about the Jesuits in Jefferson County here.
Its sandstone bulk loomed over the town’s skyline from 1874 to 1982, when it was demolished after a long and colorful history.